Sunday, October 25, 2009

On the Up Side, the Mashed Potatoes and Gravy Were Delicious

I am dubbing today "The Great Meatloaf Experiment". Sadly, the results were not what I was aiming for. I generally consider myself to be a good cook but there may be some doubt after today's production.

I did the weekly grocery shop yesterday but didn't think far enough ahead; when I realized this afternoon at about 3:00 that I had frozen all of this week's meat buys, I was thrown for a loop. After a quick inventory, we decided that ground beef was probably our quickest thaw, and ST asked for a meatloaf. Sure, I thought. I can do that. But what I should have factored in was the fact that:
  1. I am Canadian. Meatloaf is not called a "a classic Canadian meal".
  2. I have never eaten meatloaf. My own mother did not make it, it wasn't available in our school cafeterias, and I've never seen it on a restaurant menu.
  3. I did not know that there is a special meatloaf pan that enables you to actually cook the loaf without deep frying it in the grease that's released from the ground beef, and that allows you to actually remove the damn thing from the pan when the time comes.
It's a good thing I'm not living in the 50's. I'd never catch me a husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment